You like jazz?
—Barry B. Benson
|"Welcome to the House"|
| Season 1, episode 1|
The episode opens with Cory taking a nap on the couch in the White House. His father wakes him up and tells him to get ready for his birthday party. Cory agrees and waits for the guests. The first guest is Barry who Cory, at first, threatens with a bottle of Raid. After Cory's family suspiciously fail to arrive, the second guest is an ogre who likes to listen to loud music. Cory instantly starts to develop a crush on him. The third and final guest is a kid on a jet pack named Johnny Test. The party starts and the four start to chat with each other. Cory talks to Shrek about dating advice, foreshadowing their relationship. Barry asks Johnny why he isn't at school. The young boy promptly lies about being good at science before the news comes on with a special update. The news informs our heros that their families are being held hostage with the exception of Princess Fiona. Everyone is nervous and scared for their loved onces except Shrek, who reassures everyone that they'll be able to save the day in the next episode
After the credits, we see the first episode of Cooking with Jimi Nutrin. Since the writers were experimenting at the time, it takes up the entire second half.
Welcome in the House was widely criticized by reviewers for being a crossover of very different series that "would never work". Fortunately, the reviewers were unswaggie nerds and BSTH became the most watched show on television.
- Faceless Moid appears as Shrek's Uber driver.
- Early in development, Shrek was meant to be accompanied by Donkey.
- While the Chrek ship didn't start within the show's canon until The Prom, fans were shipping the two as soon as Cory set eyes on Shrek.
- It has been confirmed that the line "Dad's kidnapped? Who can keep me from my destined porn career now?" was foreshadowing for Johnny Toast.
- This is the first time the main portion of the episode takes up half of the 30 minute time slot.